Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Why so much cheaper to import than buy local?

Default Re: Why so much cheaper to import than buy local?

Quote Originally Posted by bradleyfutter
    Im am talking with a some local guys now and will see what they can do for me.
    It's cheaper to by jeep aftermaket parts from the USA, because thats where they are made !!!!

Good luck trying to get a local manufacturers to make aftermaket jeep parts "thats if you find one" for the same price as the usa manufacturers.

Wooders is the cheapest, jeep parts supplier in OZ.....

Quote Originally Posted by AJ
    Also you won't get any of the oversea's suppliers meeting you in the Watagan state forest on a sunday night when your stranded and have nobody else to call. Then surprising you again when your still stuck on the F3 on the way home at 12:30am with a spare battery coz he picked one up for us, just incase we didn't make it

That kind of customer service is above and beyond the call of duty
    Ehh Sorry - but I don't understand.... Any way, it's just my opinion based on my experiences which I'm always happy to share openly. If I can save nearly $500 on one transaction then that's good for me. Also I found some items are just not available here probably perhaps owning a WG Grand lessens my options and willingness from dealers to help me in Oz too.

Visitor

Quote Originally Posted by SteveC
    Also you won't get any of the oversea's suppliers meeting you in the Watagan state forest on a sunday night when your stranded and have nobody else to call. Then surprising you again when your still stuck on the F3 on the way home at 12:30am with a spare battery coz he picked one up for us, just incase we didn't make it

Ehh Sorry - but I don't understand....
    A few weeks back a group of guys off the AJOR forum went wheeling on Rope Road up the Watagans and ended up breaking most of the vehicles in the group! David Woodley drove up there on the Sunday night (the trip had started on the Saturday morning!) with a bunch of parts to help get the remaining vehicles out and back to Sydney.

Quote Originally Posted by sbadman
    Quote Originally Posted by SteveC

Ehh Sorry - but I don't understand....
    A few weeks back a group of guys off the AJOR forum went wheeling on Rope Road up the Watagans and ended up breaking most of the vehicles in the group! David Woodley drove up there on the Sunday night (the trip had started on the Saturday morning!) with a bunch of parts to help get the remaining vehicles out and back to Sydney.
    And may I say not the first time, He's helped me out at least twice in similar situations

I import a fair amount of stuff from overseas - used to run an import business as a sideline.

If a local supplier is not adding value for their margin, and it's a low risk product then I'll spend my money wherever I can get lowest bang for buck. I recently imported a set of tyres, local suppliers didn't hold stock or provide a decent warranty and wanted twice the US price. The US supplier was able to supply on shorter lead time, had experience in shipping to Oz and provided an insurance based warranty that is valid in Oz.

The OEM parts supply network is one of the worst offenders, minimal stock, minimal product knowledge, long lead times and eye-watering prices - not a terribly compelling proposition is it?

OTOH - if the local supplier does add value (stock, knowledge, advice, assistance, warranty) then chances are that I'm prepared to support them even if there is a premium to be paid. Wooders does add a lot of value - the advice, service and shared enthusiasm is worth paying for.

One of the things that I used to find frustrating was that the wholesale prices offered for Australian importers were sometimes higher than US retail prices, making it very difficult for a local importer to compete. Australian manufacturers are guilty of this too - the US wholesale price of some locally manufactured parts is 50% of the locally available wholesale prices.

.93 it is time to order from the states again!!
    Last thing I bought was a moter mount for $6 + $25 postage. best I could get locally was $74.
    I have found rockauto.com very good.
    Miraz care to share the supplier?