Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Stockton Trip 8th May 2010

8th May a long time away but put me down as well. Been a few times and never had to use low range ever! not sure why you'd want to. it's all to do with momentum and low pressures.
    In my opinion it's better to start at the top and work down, easy run home then...

ill come too.

cheers

Visitor

Count me in.

Low range really isn’t necessary. I found the best way to get up steep hills is with lots of momentum coming in and tire pressure around 12/13 lbs.

Last time I went I came in near Ana Bay (port stephens), but the best dunes (and shipwreck) are just south of Lavis Lane. It is good however to start up north and work your way down to exit at Lavis Lane (if you can find the exit from the beach).

Pictures from my last trip after Wattagans in January.

IMG_0889.jpg
    Last edited by Pura Vida; 10-03-10 at 03:17 PM.

Low range works well on sand not for traction etc but to help keep the engine cool. Sand puts a lot of load on the engine and keeping it in low range means less effort and a cooler engine (faster spinning engine fan etc). Most of the time you dont need momentum to get around Stockton, only when you're hitting the dunes hard and then high range is handy.

Cheers
    Steve
    Public Officer - Member #076

Visitor

Between Lavis Lane and the shipwreck, there’s also an area that’s really good for catching some air if you’re an idiot like me (see pictures).

pv air.jpg

17232_295893688351_739378351_4509031_5887478_n.jpg

Hi all,

Im massive keen to tag a long !! Went last weekend with some work mates and had a blast !!

Brad

We might have to come along to this one, it will 1 day short of 12 months since I went to stockton last (unless I sneak a trip in in the mean time).

Put me down for 2 vehicles as this stage, perhaps 3.

Greg

Just after peoples thoughts on numbers for this run. I can't see why there has to be a limit on this run as there is plenty of room, not confined to one track & can be split into two groups if needed. We have proved this to work previously.
    98 ZJ Grand Cherokee(Lightly Modded), 84 CJ8, 74 CJ6,
    Lord Help me I'm in to Jeep!!!!

There is a limit I believe, but just don't all show up at the same time in a big line. I seem to recall that a Jambo trip was stopped due to numbers. Even though you pay your beach access fees the local mgt seems to have a concern about toilets or some such thing. Maybe someone else who was there can remember the drama better than me. Steve?

If we get a large group accepting, then we can always split up into smaller groups and stagger the starting times....and meet up for lunch on the beach.

I am happy to lead a 2nd group if required.

Greg