Thread: Custom Storage Systems (for Jeeps & other 4WDs)

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Here are the photos I promised of the WH unit that I finished before Christmas. These were taken in the Vic High Country. The customer wanted a natural finish slide out locking table. a large chain saw and recovery equipment drawer(bottom right), can food and misc storage drawer (top right), and the fridge slide cubicle. There is also an auxiliary battery built into the back of the unit behind the chainsaw drawer (its actually an L shaped drawer to fit around the battery). There is a fan in the rear of the fridge cubicle to vent the fridge heat. The tolerances on this unit were very tight and it just clears the rear hatch moldings. The top deck has wings that extend to the the side windows to allow packing soft storage on top. This is pretty much the most complicated unit I've produced so far. Anyone familiar with the WH will know that the floor in the rear cargo area is useless plastic with no real tie downs - so I had to build a plinth to replace the subfloor and shim it to clear the rear plastic molding at the bottom. The entire Unit is through bolted to the steel body floor in the cargo area. There is a cargo barrier just ahead of the Unit.

Last edited by glend; 03-04-11 at 10:36 PM.