Cheers
    Steve
    Public Officer - Member #076

I'll be keen to come. If there is still room

Reccie is done. Wear some walking shoes for the trip and bring a torch

Cheers
    Steve

Hey guys I will be at work so have to withdraw, bit dissapointing, would have been nice to meet everyone.

I can't get over how many people are going, 159 jeeps on the one cruize would be something to see.

Quote Originally Posted by benjo View Post
    I can't get over how many people are going, 159 jeeps on the one cruize would be something to see.
    159?? There's 37, still a lot for a club trip though

Cheers
    Steve

I don't know if anyone has thought of it but we are going to have one definite problem on this trip. The areas available to park close to both the Lost City and the Glow Worm Tunnels are very small and only have room for roughly 12 cars, maybe less and the tracks leading to both these areas are not very wide and offer very little room to park either. You have to assume that there will be other people already parked in these areas too further limiting the available places to park.

With over 30 cars coming I think that we are going to give some thought to not only where we will park but how we will organise the group so that it does not get strung out over too large an area forcing some people from our group to walk for miles to catch up with the others and causing the convoy to break up into smaller groups which may get lost.

One solution could be that the convoy could stop briefly as each one of our cars finds a park to pick up the occupants and ferry them to the sites, reversing the procedure as we leave so that everyone gets to the sites with the minimum of effort. We don't have to do it this way, it is just an idea but we will definitely need to have some strategy in place to solve this potential problem that could potentially ruin the day for some people.

We aren't going to all the areas as one group (read back through the thread, there was a call for more trip leaders and tails to help with this ), most likely as three groups and meeting for lunch, we've also discussed buddying up, especially at the glow worm tunnels where there is a large parking area about 1km from the main parking area. Basically, don't worry its all under control

The lost city is the tricky one, and again people could buddy up a little way out from the parking but we can park in front of each other there etc.

Cheers
    Steve

I must admit that I do get a bit lazy and only read the most recent posts in a thread most of the time. I must say though that having to split up the group is a bit of a shame. I was looking forward to freaking out the all the Toyotas by rolling through the area in one huge Jeep convoy!

If you still need someone to help out by leading a group I'd be happy to volunteer. I have recorded all my trips to the area on my GPS and have both the car parks to the Lost City and the Tunnels as well as most of the other places we have stopped at during the SJC trips that I have done up there saved as waypoints. My GPS is a Garmin loaded with the latest Aust Toppo maps and it includes all the tracks in this area pretty accurately so I could easily lead a group to most of the places where we might want to meet.