Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Updating Jeep "Maybe"

Visitor

rey each have there advantages and disvantages, you like auto i like manual.. for me auto takes fun away from it all... and i have seen first hand what damage mud and water does to an auto i know they are expensive to repair trust me... as for taking off from lights witth no clutch start the car in gear... you may say cant do that in a JK because you need to put your foot on the clutch to start yes but there is a flash at the dealer to take this off... Also I drive my JK hard very hard offroad on road and in the mud people that came out to zig zag will agree i was stuck in the mud for 10mins dumping clutch like crazy forward and reverse and it still feel very good at the foot pedal...

Interesting comments about the flaws of an auto. I would have thought the auto was more a sealed unit than a manual due to more parts moving in a manual. None the less, as has been stated there are pros and cons for all configurations.
    For me it would be an auto diesel at the right price and an unlimited at least 2010 model. Manuals are great in sports cars but around town and on a 4wd, Why?? In tricky terrain the auto will win each time in my view. Only exception is decents, where the manual is a better option due to engine compression.
    I do however appreciate all comments in helping me decide more next Jeep or will it be

im not talking about personal preferance, im talking about real life issues with teh manual in the diesel.... the petrol is fine in manual as it doesnt have a pwer/torque to fry the clutch

I had a good long yarn to a fellow from Scuderia Veloce Jeep today and he suggested that the new Pentastar V6 is the one to go for (all new orders for petrol Wranglers being placed will get this motor - the 3.8 is dead), he even suggested that the V6 is better than the diesel. Also the diesel is no longer being made in the 2 door Wrangler.
    So now I too do not know what one to settle for, an auto diesel (it was my preference) or the new V6 Rubicon auto (both in Unlimited) as price is very similar (about 2k difference - if that).

Visitor

this thread giniks my clutch slave cylinder went.. thank god local dealer had one... they are plastic to... so fits well with the rest of the JK... normal price was $218 i got it for $189 with my trade discount, so for reference if anyone needs one PM ill get it trade for you...

Quote Originally Posted by SteveC View Post
    Interesting comments about the flaws of an auto. I would have thought the auto was more a sealed unit than a manual due to more parts moving in a manual. None the less, as has been stated there are pros and cons for all configurations.
    For me it would be an auto diesel at the right price and an unlimited at least 2010 model. Manuals are great in sports cars but around town and on a 4wd, Why?? In tricky terrain the auto will win each time in my view. Only exception is decents, where the manual is a better option due to engine compression.
    I do however appreciate all comments in helping me decide more next Jeep or will it be
    Some Rubi drivers got pee'd with me everytime I would call on the radio,"get off the brake, use your low ratio"........ My auto( but do have Terralow T/Case) is just as efficient as the Rubi's low ratio on decents, nevers runs away at all, but near got a chill when I hit almost 4Km down a slope one day....Lol........
    Auto vs Manual = personal choice really...............
    JC Member# 094

Quote Originally Posted by SGS View Post
    I had a good long yarn to a fellow from Scuderia Veloce Jeep today and he suggested that the new Pentastar V6 is the one to go for (all new orders for petrol Wranglers being placed will get this motor - the 3.8 is dead), he even suggested that the V6 is better than the diesel. Also the diesel is no longer being made in the 2 door Wrangler.
    So now I too do not know what one to settle for, an auto diesel (it was my preference) or the new V6 Rubicon auto (both in Unlimited) as price is very similar (about 2k difference - if that).
    Drove a new Town and Country when we were back in the States in August and September with the new V6...it's a rip snortin' little beast in that heavy thing. Burn't rubber as we pulled out of the rental lot.
    It is not he who gives abuse that affronts, but the view that we take of it as insulting; so that when one provokes you it is your own opinion which is provoking.<br /><br />–Epictetus

It would be interesting to see the price drop of the old petrols once the new 6 comes out. The dealers even think the diesel will drop too and any old stock wil become a bargain.
    I wonder what the economy will be like with the new one compared with the current?

Visitor

reading on the US forums there isn't much of a difference in economey but there are some major issues with the exhaust when lifting you need exhaust spacers and all sorts of trouble i would rather steer clear off...

There is a really nice dark sky blue special 2 door project at Jeep Mosman
    Comes with 17x8 black Pro-comp (i Think they were) wheels and 305/70/17 pro-comp tyres, Lift (about 3" I think) all engineered and tuned, custom front & rear steel bars (not that nice IMO) and side rails plus a few other bits. I wonder if the lift will be OK under new rules. hmmm....
    They want $50k petrol. the Jeep looks VERY cool though.