Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Vibration issue when Jeep slowing down

Default Vibration issue when Jeep slowing down

hey guys,

starting to drive my jeep again and this week its developed a strong vibration then bounce when the car is slowing down by itself in gear, it happens with and without the brakes on.

it happens at difference speeds and gears, ive tried it in 1st to 4th gear from 10kph to 80kph. when i first let my foot off the accerlator it starts with a vibration throughout the car and as the speed drops it gets stronger and stronger then turns into a bounce in the front end. yesturday morning the bounce was in the car for 1st and 2nd gear when taking off from a cold start but didnt happen the rest of the day and this morning but was happening all yesturday and still now when slowing down.

any ideas?

I'd be looking at the unis to start with, could be damaged and binding when loaded in the opposite direction to normal (slowing rather than under load)

Cheers
    Steve
    Public Officer - Member #076

What control arm's are you running?? Had something alike same as you, then began to "track" on the road with every little bump........... just another possibilty/possible cause of same............. Stephen. ........... It was in the TJ by the way...........
    JC Member# 094

Visitor

Who cares about the vibration show us pictures of the finished cage

And as for the vibration, what steve sqaured siad

Sent from my GT-P7300 using Tapatalk

cage not done yet, going to get stuck into it at the end of this month, got a few more plans to do at the same time now...

im running RE short arms which i havent had a chance to check but i have greased my axle unis which were bone dry, havent had a chance to check other unis/joints so will do this on the weekend. my control arms are due for a grease

this morning i heard a squealing noise which stopped when i put the clutch in, when i put the clutch in the vibration stops also (still in gear) so im leaning towards a worn clucth and bearings

Gee Vinnie,
    Make it easy sort off, seems like "one of Those issue's". You find out sooner than later, oneway or another....... Me,- Had gen.1 Terra-flex short arms, since improved of course.....Changed to RE short arms, lower one's......... Limo drive, well felt like it compared to what it had been...............Lol...........
    JC Member# 094

wouldnt a squelling sound be more likely to be a belt?

i was always under the impression that bearings made a grumbling sound?

Sounds like the throw out bearing is dying sorry vinnie.

what does this mean Dave?

the squelling now is on everytime i apply the accelerator so thinking its a belt? but the vibrating is what im most concerned about. i sometimes feel it now when the car is in netural

Hi All,

just giving an update incase anyone else is experiencing the same issues i had with my jeep, thanks to the advice above i replaced all uni joints in both front and rear shafts, grease axle joints and now the jeep is running smooth again. no more vibrations and squeling

thanks again to all.

ill start now stripping the jeep for the cage and a few other mods ive got planned so will probably start up a build thread soon
    Last edited by VIN18U; 25-01-12 at 11:31 AM. Reason: .