Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Big Touring Trip 2013

mallee is a great area...... i was there earlier in the year down at sea lake.........

As mentioned - I and the wife ARE leaving around end of July for 3 weeks. We won't be camping (thus less to carry but of course more pricey but only way to drag the wife out there) finding accommodation along the way be it cabins, motel or what ever. What are people's thoughts on that idea?
    My main concern is how long does it take to travel some of those tracks as while they look short on the map - they could take a whole day....

we find it easier to stay at c parks due to our health but thats just us

SteveC yes there is accomodation available in Park Cabins in most of the established caravan parks, but keep in mind that your are going in peak season and bookings will be essential. Try to get a hold of the SA and NT tourist bureas to get your hands on their caravan park guides. You could also try the ExplorOz website for info on caravan parks there. What is your planned route, most distances are doable in a day from accomodation to accomodation but it may not be 5 star.

Glend
    Thanks for your feedback
    Planned route is Sydney/Cobar/Broken Hill/Tibooburra/Cameron Corner then either Innaminck via walkers crossing to Birdsville or Strelecki Track to Lyndhurst to Birdsville.
    THEN
    If time allows on to Alice Springs to see the usual bits but not sure of which way yet to Alice. After that then take the easier main routes back to Sydney
    That's the rough plan so far. So if you have any suggestions - bring them on.....

Steve, plenty of caravan park or motel/hotel accommodation in Cobar, Broken Hill and in Tibooburra. There is not a lot at Cameron Corner - its a roadhouse with a camping ground and maybe a couple of pretty ordinary cabins (sheds). Innaminka is an easy one day drive from Tibooburra with Cam Corner a good lunch stop if you choose to do that, but book a room at Innaminka Hotel ASAP, otherwise you will be camping. Likewise in Birdsville. Honestly can't remember if the caravan park has any cabins! Otherwise its the Birdsville Hotel, book ASAP (now). As Glen said July is peak season! Oh and Innaminka is a good 400km, 1 day drive from Birdsville via Cordillo Downs - the way we went in 2010. Via Walkers crossing is longer and slower (if passable, walkers Crossing does get closed at the first hint of rain). Via Lyndhurst on the Strez, I'd suggest one day to Lyndhurst, one day to Mungerannie (well worth the stay, but need to book a cabin) and a day to Birdsville.

Between Birdsville and Alice Springs, I assume you are heading North through Bedourie and Boulia? My map shows caravan parks in both those towns, but can't comment on accommodation quality. From Boulia west to Alice on the Plenty Hwy (dirt), my map shows about 800km of not much. Fuel yes, and camping, but nothing more than that.

I'll bring my maps to the Chrissy Party and next meeting, but again as Glen suggested, you need to get planning and booking really soon in the new year! SOUNDS LIKE A GREAT TRIP!

Dave
    Last edited by Dave; 27-11-12 at 07:31 PM.

Dave
    Thats very generous and would be very helpful
    Steve

As Dave has pointed out the route from Birdsville to ALice is a long one as you'd have to go up and then over on the Plenty Highway (corrugated most of the way), and you would likely have to camp somewhere as 800kms in one day on that track is pretty difficult. A better choice if you have to get to ALice might be to follow the Stez down to Lyndhurst and then go up the Oodnadatta track where you can stop at William Creek (book of course) and then on to ALice. It's seems to me that you'd need to decide how important Birdsville is in comparison to Alice, in the time you have.

Glend - Birdsville is a priority. has been on my bucket list for many years.

I like your suggestion and thinking. It all depends on timing I suppose. The difficulty (which you and Dave have helped) is the timing between places, so I'm able to book ahead.
    I'm sure it will be easier once I speak with you about your experiences etc

Sure thing. When your working out your possible distances per day remember that it is often very difficult to achieve highway type speeds on these tracks, and really anything over about 80kmph can get really uncomfortable (and dangerous) when your sitting up on top of the corrugations. As Dave wil remember, we saw a new Nissan Patrol at the Copley caravan park that had rolled off the road on a turn on the track out to Level Post Bay on Lake Eyre - busted out all the windows, luckily he rolled it in the sand. He was up on top of the corrugations and just had no control when it came to the turn.
    Last edited by glend; 28-11-12 at 11:34 AM.