Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Engine bay cleaning

Paul Mate & anyone else interested,

Always "COLD" as most truck washes contain some caustic properties, usually Alkaline salts. If applied to a hot alloy surface will cause pitting, recommend only leaving 10 -15 min, and be sure you wash it off completely.

Also use truck wash in an adjustable jet spray bottle (at low pressure) directly into radiator fins, leave 10 min and wash out with garden hose (no nozzle). Then finish with LIGHT jet of WD40 or baby oil to stop crap (dust & mud) sticking to fins, makes cleaning easier next time!!!

Cheers

Andy
    Last edited by redrubi; 01-10-13 at 02:44 PM.

Visitor

Thanks for the advice.

Just had a look at my engine bay this morning. Now I'm not going to pretend that it was in any way clean before the weekend (nearly 4 years old and never been cleaned) but it certainly needs a wash now. I think I've got half the Watagans in my engine bay. And as for the air filter, that just went in the bin. Didn't even bother trying to clean it.

The WD40 is a sound piece of advice. Always used in on my motor bikes in the UK to keep the winter road salt off the bike. The bike always looked filthy as everything stuck to it but it washed off easily and the salt didn't rot the bike.

Visitor

WD40 is also widely used on electrical components as it's a great water repellent and prevents corrosion.

Secretary

Thanks very much for the advice everyone, I will be tackling the engine bay clean up on the weekend.
    Rich

I've killed 2 TPS on my Jeeps from post mud cleans.
    So I'd advise steer clear of ANYTHING electronic.
    BTW once you get it clean coat EVERYTHING with wd40, and do it on a regular basis.
    Not only will the engine bay look heap better, the next mud puddle will be far less likely to stick.
    Also if sprayed through the radiatior it means it's less likely to be gummed up with mud and easier to clean.

Oh yeah you know you've been having too much fun in the mud when you need to use the high pressure INSIDE the cabin (worked really well on my TJ).

Visitor

Been wondering about where to spray the WD40 (love this stuff - just wish that there was the WD40 aftershave!!!) is it ok just to spray around the engine bay like Syria drops chemicals on it citizens?

Quote Originally Posted by Wooders View Post
    I've killed 2 TPS on my Jeeps from post mud cleans.
    So I'd advise steer clear of ANYTHING electronic.
    BTW once you get it clean coat EVERYTHING with wd40, and do it on a regular basis.
    Not only will the engine bay look heap better, the next mud puddle will be far less likely to stick.
    Also if sprayed through the radiatior it means it's less likely to be gummed up with mud and easier to clean.

Oh yeah you know you've been having too much fun in the mud when you need to use the high pressure INSIDE the cabin (worked really well on my TJ).

High level carpet bombing is my approach with wd40.
    If in doubt I use more.
    For rust prone areas though I prefer innox or Por15 sw2.

Sent from my GT-N7105T using Tapatalk 2

Visitor

Used to spray it literally everywhere on my bike, other than the brakes. Always used to get some funny looks the first time I rode it after a clean as I'd sit there at the traffic lights with smoke coming off the bike as the WD40 burnt off the parts that were getting hot.

Quote Originally Posted by DanD View Post
    Been wondering about where to spray the WD40 (love this stuff - just wish that there was the WD40 aftershave!!!) is it ok just to spray around the engine bay like Syria drops chemicals on it citizens?
    Ooooooh too soon

Visitor

Quote Originally Posted by Wolfe View Post
    Ooooooh too soon
    Noted - please let me know if I'm to edit my post

Been hearing odd things on the old wireless re Syria and the weapons inspectors... Strange things are brewing over there