Page 7 of 22 FirstFirst ... 5678917 ... LastLast

Thread: Steves JK

More mods happening

When I bought the JK it had a dual battery setup, nicely put together with a dual voltage monitor and 100A breaker from the battery etc but it didn't have the second battery in it. It only had the cradle which was attached to the floor in the boot taking up precious luggage space. First thing I did was unbolt it and ditch it. Jumping forward I have my roof rack on order and also some 12v 12W LED work-lights, these will bolt to the roof rack at the rear (one in each corner) and will double as setup lights for camp and off-road reversing lights.

So I can leave them on for a while at night with no worries I've decided to put a second battery in the storage compartment under the floor in the back. It will only be used for running the lights and charging up phones and tablets overnight etc, no fridge or anything like that as there wont be any room for it anyway

The battery I bought is a 22AH deep cycle, full sealed and fine to run in the cabin in any orientation. It'll run on it's side. It's the CBC12V22AH With this in the floor storage there is still room for my twin head 12v compressor and currie tyre deflator.

http://www.fusionagmbatteries.com.au...ts/Cyclic.aspx

And the lights I'll be running, they are 8cmx8cmx8cm

I tested what I have at the moment to make sure the dual setup does actually work and isolate from the main battery.

Current Anderson plug from battery isolator, I knocked up a quick tail to connect to the new battery, this is just the battery out of my wifes motorbike (for testing). The current cable will be run to the storage compartment.

The twin power point already there, one is AUX and the other MAIN, I have an old fluro work lamp plugged in to check the AUX keeps power when the batteries are isolated (it did), also tested the main to make sure it doesn't (it also worked as expected)

Independant battery readout for each one, they are both the same as the engine is running in this pic.

Anyway, that's it. Hopefully 22AH will be enough to be useful, I think it will be fine for many hours of LED lighting and charging each night More pics when the rest of the gear shows and I can set it all up.

Cheers
    Steve
    Last edited by Steve F; 03-11-14 at 05:34 PM.
    Public Officer - Member #076

Put an ALL-GIG TV in my JK when I managed to snag one really cheap on ebay, it let me hook up a reversing cam (along with a bunch of other things) to the MY-GIG screen.

It has an input for a second camera as well so I thought I may as well use it I now have a front camera as well as a rear camera. The rear comes on when in reverse or can be turned on manually from the my-gig. The front can be turned on manually from the my-gig as well. The plan is to leave the front on when offroad as it will automatically switch to the reverse cam when in reverse and then switch back again

Anyway, pics.

I mounted the camera in an aluminium box I got from Jaycar, couple of bucks, I painted it satin black and used double sided tape to mount it to the bar.

Here's the best view I could get out the window.

and the cam

And one more example, testing on the neighbors car

Cheers
    Steve

Got my second battery (22AH deep cycle), it's a perfect fit Now I can have light at the camp site all night if needed or plenty of light on the trail for repairs/recoveries. Should easily run a 1A (12w LED flood light) for 10hrs with plenty of power to spare.

Next step, bolt it down and wire it into the existing rear isolated loom.

Cheers
    Steve

Waved good by to the XJ today On the plus side the credit card got a healthy injection of cash so ordered a few more bits for the JK

Been wanting a new compressor as the old one has got slower and less efficient recently so after some looking around found this, on special at the moment if you're looking for one.

http://www.4wdsupacentre.com.au/prod...pressor-1.html

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LT5-geOXtmI

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=av3PrFQ81vw

Also order a spiderweb shade top

http://www.spiderwebshade.com/jeep-p...-2-door/jk-2d/

Pretty much down to tyres now

Cheers
    Steve
    Last edited by Steve F; 09-11-14 at 07:10 PM.

A few little things this week, firstly got sick of not being able to hear the GPS with the top open or windows open, I could have plugged the tablet into the MyGIG input but then I wouldn't be able to play music off of the MyGIG HDD. The solution was to get a Bluetooth speaker and put it on the dash behind the tablet mount (will use velcro to hold it down).

It's way louder than the tablet alone and there will be no problems hearing it on the road even with the top down, it's purely for voice directions on the GPS but the music is a good test, might come in handy when camping as well for a little background music.

It's behind the tablet but looks like this and is waterproof, dust proof and cheap

Also mounted the UHF Antennae on a UNEEK bracket and ran the cable, just need to find the time to wire in the UHF.

Also wired up the second battery, the UHF will be wired to this along with some LED lights, it's hooked up to the dual battery isolator that was in the Jeep when I bought it so took me 10 minutes to do Just need to strap it down.

Cheers
    Steve

Visitor

Gday Steve,

What tablet have you got? Saw it at the last Jambo meeting and meant to ask as it was a neat size

Quote Originally Posted by DanD View Post
    Gday Steve,

What tablet have you got? Saw it at the last Jambo meeting and meant to ask as it was a neat size
    It's a Google Nexus 7 2013, fast little tablet and being a Google Android tablet one of the first for any updates, it got pushed the Android Lollipop update last week

Cheers
    Steve

Fitted a Spiderweb shade today, ready for tomorrows heat.

Cheers
    Steve

Very nice.
    DIESELCON - DC Mk 2 - 2015 WK2 CRD 33" ATR's on 17" sevens, 2" lift & 2000 TJ on 35's beadlocks

Quote Originally Posted by Steve F View Post
    Fitted a Spiderweb shade today, ready for tomorrows heat.

Cheers
    Steve
    Looks good Steve! Check out the side windows, they cut down heaps of sunlight + added security (deters them)