Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 6789 LastLast

Thread: Baal Bone return via Turon River and Sunny Corner

Trip Coordinator/Association Delegate Dru's Avatar

What a day.

Thanks everyone for being early. We got away ahead of time from Richmond and again from Lithgow. Way to go!

Baal Bone and its well known pinch points at each end, whew. Pretty sure they are both getting a little tougher, so Andy was called in for guidance skills pretty much right from the start. Everyone through both ends. For me the most spectacular being John (John and Di) on the way up. A leap on the "exhilarator" and a leap vertically - looked very much like a Mako Shark launching out of the sea to me. But along with everyone else a successful climb.

View is breath-taking from the top of Baal Bone.

The trip out is longer than the trip in, a bit of confusion at one intersection and some entertainment working out where everyone was and how to get back together. So wait at the junctions till the bloke behind sees you.

Sorry you had to leave at that point Shannon, but yes it had taken time. We had a chat about options and continued up to the Turon River for a late lunch. Most opting to have a look around the Turon. We were pretty sure that the convoy speed just wouldn't have made it back through to Sunny Corner in sun light. So most preferred to return back Castlereagh Hwy.

Kerry and I decided to continue on to make sure the proposed trip was at least offered. Offer taken up by Sean and Daphne (thanks guys!). And our much shorter ;-) convoy of two, buckled up to make a steady cruise pace and were airing up by 4:30. Convoy size really does make a difference.

If you want to know how Pinnacle and Black Butt are, ask Sean. OR we will have to run another trip. :-)

Hope everyone else enjoyed the river!

Secretary

Thanks very much Dru and Kerry for a great day. And thanks to Andy for helping out too. My friend Dave who drove tracks today for the first time thoroughly enjoyed the day and the people, and so did I. Cheers. I hope to have some pics up soon.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Trip Coordinator/Association Delegate Dru's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by richhenning View Post
    And thanks to Andy for helping out
    There it is. Always something that I make a goose of myself by leaving out. Andy, thanks buddy. Awesome input and you know the day wouldn't have been so stress free without your help. Sounds simple but means more.

"Thanks".

Dru & Kerry,

No thanks needed! Thanks for organizing a great day guys!

Cheers

Andy&Charl

Club Member

That was a memorable outing and I was pleasantly surprised about that area being lot more greener then I expected, at times it felt like we were driving jeeps through the Jurasic park The views of the Wolgan valley from the top are breathtaking. Again we had good mix of people and jeeps - TJ, JK, JKU and Trailhawk... Always nice to meet new members and see their setup, and it is amazing how capable jeeps are... some as stocks and some with road tires, all made it through, great to watch.

Thanks Dru & Kerry for the leadership and navigation. Thanks Andy for the spotting, you do make it easy. Both the entry and exits at Baal Bone were thrilling while splashing the jeeps through a number of Turon river crossings was lots of fun Cheers all !!

Visitor

Hi Dru, sounds like you guys had a great day. Damb Australia Post for not delivering my replacement disconnect kit on Friday. If you do run another trip in that area I'll put my jku in cottonwool to protect it before the trip. On another matter what make are your sliders and where did you get them? Also are your flares the smaller or larger size.

Cheers RobS

Hi All!!

What a fab day! Us newbies really had a blast..,glad we could hold our own..but hey its a jeep! Better tyres will be ready for the next one (not slicks) with more notice given than the 4 days we had for this trip...! Spontaneity isnt all bad and Thanks John for inviting us. We are hooked and now my jeep will get the love that Johns Prado has had exclusively....Looking forward to the Jambaroo!

Thanks to Dru & Kerry - fab team leaders and Andy for his help and guidance. What a great bunch of people (and vehicles...)

Regards

The Mako Sharks!!!! John & Di (isherz)

Visitor

Thanks Dru and Kerry for putting it together. Great day out - heaps of fun. Can't wait to see some of the photographic evidence [emoji2].

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Visitor

First video from Baal Bone:

https://youtu.be/5KtpuaAF3AQ

I've pasted this one on youtube so it can be shared on our jambo page (I hope you don't mind, Rich). I like this one as you can even see the tail shaft at some point. For those who don't know, it is Rich's Jeep without Rich (he was remotely controlling this descent with his iPhone ).
    I'll place the rest of the videos in my dropbox and will place the link here... eventually. Enjoy.

Dushan.

Secretary

Default Baal Bone return via Turon River and Sunny Corner

Gee that's awesome Dusan, thanks so much for the video.
    Yep I was letting my best mate have a go, he did well and had a huge grin on his face afterwards.

rich
    Last edited by richhenning; 11-08-15 at 09:12 AM.