Thread: Spooky...

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Trip Coordinator/Association Delegate Dru's Avatar

<Pretty sad to be continuing the build page without the opportunity to chat about it with Ben. RIP Jeep brother.>

Mud Magnet is gradually being pillaged as a salvage, though we have not started suspension at all yet.

MM salvage.jpg

Two main start points - electronics and rated tow points. As usual there are minor glitches in both categories.

MM dash.jpg

We hoped swapping over the Sat Nav head unit would be a simple hardware switch, predictably wiring loom means peeling apart the vehicle innards - dash and throughout. Spooky looked like this too as things proceeded. But all is well in the long run:

GPS 2way.jpg

GPS is operational and the two way is in. The minor glitch is that the U-connect jumper cable is different between the two head units so hands free and reversing camera will wait a replacement cable and we need to learn a way through the confusion of finding correct part nos.

We were unable to get the AEV rear bar, fuel caddy and 35" wheel carrier transferred over, damnit. This time it is another wiring loom issue. When Jeep dealer did the rust proofing (it is electronic) they ran it within the wiring loom and pulled the cable through the chassis rail. this means that the cables interrupt the connection points into the chassis where the new brackets for the AEV bar have to be bolted through the chassis - right where the imposter cables are. I am completely of the opinion that I never want a Jeep dealer mech or engineer anywhere near a working 4-WD again, but thought rust proofing would be OK. Wrong. Also their rust-proofing control units are physically tiny compared to a proper system (how can they do the same job) and it is unkown how well the pads (electronic attachment points) are adhered. I has my suspicions! It will be a cut and carve wiring from the control unit and bodge job with the existing components for now. In time we may well replace with a proper after market system and we will lose warranty in the mean time. You live and learn.

rear hitch and camera.jpg

So the rear camera is in (integrated with plate light) and wired just needs that jumper cable at the head unit. We were able to have the tow hitch fast tracked without the AEV rear bar.

Tail LED.jpg

uneek bar.jpg

Front and rear LEDs done - no more highway driving by Jeep candle-light! Front new Uneek bar is in. The winch was meant to slot straight into position but strangely has bolting positions that are different to the slots provided. Engineer is resolving strengthening and repositioning brackets/washers. Bit of a pain but not like the freaking rust prevention wiring loom drama. Uneek presumably revisiting design with the Warn winch.

Once the roof rack goes on we will relocate the antennae as I'd rather it didn't impeed the driver vision.

So far so good. And we are ready with actual rated recovery points to re-join the Jeep and 4WD club world.

Camp Coffs - we are looking at you!
    Last edited by Dru; 08-02-20 at 02:05 PM.