Thread: Spooky...

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Trip Coordinator/Association Delegate Dru's Avatar

With one exception - jumper lead for U connect system - phase 1 is complete and we are locking in Camp Coffs.

Winch

winch.jpg

I don't actually have an issue with the Runvar product but we are being built by SevenSlot and they only put their faith in the original and "best" with Warn. So we have gone with the advice, little point being with a shop otherwise and we have been happy $ package which has been agreed.

Also suggest that any winch which is a hermetically sealed unit should be considered a throwaway - can't maintain them. Winches do require maintenance, they are highly exposed to mud, rain, sunlight, and particularly the free spool systems jam. DTU training says they should not be used at that point, so a maintainable winch was prerequisite this time.

We intentionally went lightweight winch with the smaller lighter JK. This was an error. Once you start B grade trips you winch needs to be considered more than simply recovery and once we started touching A grade a winch is actually a part of your "go forward". So heavy duty this time. Interestingly the weight from the winch is actually noticeable on the drive feel. It seems obvious that the "plush armchair" ride as set up stock will harden up as we complete the build. Not much in it at this stage but we will be keeping an eye on it.

Rock Rails

rock rails .jpg

We really like Uneek products for the JK. The rock rails on Mud Magnet took a hiding and never failed. The bracket attachment shape and position did collect mud which needed attention when water blasting but it is a mild complaint. The rails on the longer Spooky attach in three locations (two on the JK) and mount directly to the chassis. We like.

Rear bar

rear bar.jpg

AEV rear bar + fuel caddy + spare holder. TBH I'm not overly fond of it but Kerry loves it. The fuel caddy adds 40l so removes the need for two jerry cans on the Simpson, which I admit is handy. It does take water in the bar which might be handy for washing when camping but has proven a pointless feature which is unused - AND it complicates possible mounting points for roof racks - many systems need to be bolted into the bar and that can't happen here. The spare wheel holder had proven an absolute menace on Mud Magnet - but to be fair this was due to poor installation in the original build. Get it right and like all AEV equipment it is conservative and rubust. I might have considered Uneek as an alternative, but we already own it, and the problems we had were not the product, so I will learn to love it again. Note that as set up with the stock spare (IE no weight) the spare is located too close to the rear window (can't use the wiper). We will adjust position only the once when the 35"s are installed.

GPS power cable

iPad power.jpg

It's a minor point but have a separate lead installed permanently for the iPad (mini) which we use for Hema. There are plenty of alternatives to Hema though we keep coming back to it - they all run on an iPad. Check the right amp rating for the iPad as not all iPhone charge points will charge an iPad.

iDrive Unit

i Drive.jpg

Yet to be fully convinced of this system, essentially reprograms the (fly by wire) throttle to give quicker response to foot input. Makes the Jeep feel powerful though the drive around town feels a little more jerky to me. What I am hoping for is a quicker response to foot OFF the gas in rock climbing when you get a jerk for instance both axles hitting a ledge at the same time. Time will tell.

So, the Spook is starting to look a little more grown up with Phase 1 complete

Phase 2:
    Roof rack, Rubicon leather seats, shelf system. Underbody armour. Heat release hood, snorkel, flairs.

Phase 3:
    Suspension! I'm getting resigned around sticking with 35" as Q certification is problematic. 37" requires the swerve test, but it is more than the test in NSW where special equipment is required which is expensive so no engineer has invested in it. Though I think we know someone in NSW who does it (allied with ATV in Five Dock) so it may be a longer term initiative. Initially we should be 4" lift, 35" tyres, which is a hybrid build from Mud Magnet involving G2 D44 diffs, synergy CAs, Kings adjustable shocks etc.

Phase 4:
    Starting to think this through, once you start it is hard to stop. We are going to look at replacement transfer case and fully floating axles. I'd like gearing that matches the 5.13 diffs on Ruby TC (4.1) that we had in Mud Magnet. Currently we are 4.88 on Sport TC (3.6). Those 5.13 diffs have had a second life - you will see them on Jose's Venom.

It's a Jeep Life!

Dru'n'Kerry
    Last edited by Dru; 15-02-20 at 05:33 PM.